Georgetown– Delaware State Police arrested 42-year-old Franklin D. Conaway of Georgetown on criminal and traffic charges following a pursuit early Monday morning.
On October 19, 2020, at approximately 12:33 a.m., a trooper traveling south on Friendship Road in the area of Autumn Road, Millsboro, observed a beige Chevrolet Suburban pulling a utility trailer traveling northbound on Friendship Road with fictitious registration plates and a taillight not working on the trailer. The trooper attempted to conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle, but it failed to stop and proceeded to flee the area. Stop sticks were deployed during the pursuit, which resulted in the left side vehicle and trailer tires becoming deflated. The vehicle continued traveling at a low rate of speed. The operator, later identified as Franklin D. Conaway, was observed throwing suspected heroin and methamphetamine out the passenger side window. The suspect continued traveling in the surrounding area until the operator lost control of the vehicle, and it became disabled when turning onto Park Avenue. Conaway complied with commands to exit the car and was taken into custody without incident. A search of Conaway incident to arrest resulted in multiple bags of suspected heroin and a large knife located on his person. Approximately 0.238 grams of heroin, 0.57 grams of methamphetamine, and drug paraphernalia were seized.
Conaway was transported to Troop 4 where he was charged with the following crimes:
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felony (felony)
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon by Person Prohibited (felony)
- Disregarding a Police Officer Signal (felony)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance (2 counts)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Driving While Suspended
- Criminal Mischief Under $1,000 (2 counts)
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
- Failure to have Insurance Identification
- Operation of Unregistered Motor Vehicle (2 counts)
- Cancelled Registration Plate (2 counts)
- Failure to Transfer Title
- Failure to Remain within a Single Lane
- Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device
- Failure to Stop at Stop Sign (7 counts)
- Failure to Signal (5 counts)
- Improper Passing
- Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road
- Improper Tail Lights
- Operating Vehicle with Window Tinting
- Driving at Unreasonable Speed
Conaway was arraigned in Justice of the Peace Court #3 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on a $26,050.00 cash bond.
If you or someone you know is a victim or witness of crime or have lost a loved one to a sudden death and are in need of assistance, the Delaware State Police Victim Services Unit/Delaware Victim Center is available to offer you support and resources 24 hours a day through a toll free hotline 1800 VICTIM-1. (1-800-842-8461). You may also email the unit Director at email@example.com.
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Heather Pepper